Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar sat down with Megyn Kelly for Fox News yesterday to talk about their son Josh Duggar‘s history as a molester of underage girls, four of which happen to be his sisters (the other was a babysitter). While Josh’s parents say they were “devastated” by the realization that their son was a sex offender who “made bad choices”, they seemed to be more devastated by the idea that their TLC series was getting canceled so doing an interview about their son’s criminal behavior seemed the right thing to do.
In case you missed it, here are a few things that were said during the interview.
– Jim Bob & Michelle pulled Josh out of the house after discovering his behaviour and then said that they put “safeguards in place” to protect their daughters, though they refused to say what those safeguards were.
– The parents claim that more than one of Josh’s sisters was only “single digits” in age when Josh molested them, and they “didn’t understand” what had happened to them. Jim Bob & Michelle also claimed that the news of Josh’s molestation was more traumatizing to his victims than the actual molestation itself. Yes, seriously.
– Jim Bob & Michelle sent Josh off to a “Christian-based man” in Arkansas who “works with young men” to help cure him of his predatory ways.
– This gem: “Josh came to us. He was crying. He had just turned 14 and he said he had improperly touched some of our daughters. He said he was just curious about girls and he had gone in and just basically touched them over their clothes while they were sleeping. They didn’t even know he had done it.
– Jim Bob & Michelle also claim they “did the best [they] could”.
Well, that’s special. This family is a fucking mess and needs to disappear forever, and that’s the least of it. I feel so bad for their 19 kids – every last one of them, because they’re all victims in various ways, especially Josh. His parents have failed him and all the other kids in so many ways. It’s a wonder the rest of them are even functioning in society.