Rita Ora – singer, former Kardashian victim and London scenester extraordinaire – may have a new gig on her hands as the face of Madonna‘s Material Girl fashion line. The contract she supposedly signed is worth £500,000 ($760,257), which I would imagine is more than that whole range is worth put together, but I dunno. I suppose it gives Rita something new to tweet/Instagram about.
From The Sun:
The singer has already shot campaign photos for the label, which is run by Madge and her daughter Lourdes.
And the endorsement from the veteran star could help Rita crack the US, where she still needs a big break. A source said: “Lourdes has been a fan of Rita for a while and has been to many of her gigs. She persuaded her mum to see her.
“They met at the Met Ball in New York last week and Madonna admired Rita’s attitude so signed the idea off.
“Rita jumped at the chance because she’s such a fan of the Queen Of Pop.
“She also hopes it will help her crack the States in the same way she has the UK.” Rita already has an influential mentor in JAY-Z. He signed her to his label Roc Nation when she was just a teenager.
Okay, let’s be real. Rita Ora will never break the US – and I say this as someone who actually owns her album and likes it quite a lot. I’ve even seen her live when she was opening for Coldplay during their UK stadium tour last year. But any success she gets in the States will be nominal, kinda like Jessie J – people know ‘Domino’ and ‘Price Tag’ (generally), but it’s no youth anthem or anything.
Second of all, Rita spends 90% of her time on Instagram, documenting all the partying she does, the free shit she gets for being a major scenester, the “kisses” she shares with BFF/”wifey” Cara Delevingne and the photoshoots she does for publications that are covering her for… I don’t know what reason. Not hating, just saying it’d be awesome if a singer spent more time concentrating on singing than all the little perks that come with a modicum of fame. Like, kudos for befriending Karl Lagerfeld, bb, but maybe hit up the studio and work on your songwriting skills.
Then again, if it’s fashion she’d rather go into, I support her whole-heartedly. She takes a good photo and could easily book a few campaigns, especially with “It Girl” Cara’s help. Do your thing, girl.
May 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm by Jennifer
Anne Hathaway actually blew me away with her punk transformation for the Costume Institute Gala for the “PUNK: Chaos to Couture” exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum (or Met Gala for short). Doesn’t she look great as a blonde? Every year celebs dress to the hilt for the event for whatever the theme is. This year, it’s punk. So keep that in mind when looking at these photos — these looks are supposed to be crazy and over the top.
BEST: Anne Hathaway, January Jones, Sienna Miller
WORST: Almost everyone else, but especially Kerry Washington, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Kim Kardashian and honestly there were so many more I couldn’t even deal with.
PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY: Miley Cyrus and Anne Hathaway
Check it out!
May 7, 2013 at 4:30 am by Catherine St. Ives
If you remember, Madonna‘s a total bitch who doesn’t care if her homeless drug addict brother Anthony Ciccone dies… or something. Well, Anthony ran into some trouble earlier this week when he was arrested for trespassing and hurt himself by resisting police, requiring nine stitches in his head. Well, that was smart.
Anthony Gerard Ciccone, 56, is the brother of famed pop musician Madonna. He is expected to be charged with felony resisting and obstructing a police officer.
Traverse City Police Capt. Brian Heffner said Ciccone resisted a female police officer late Sunday when she attempted to restrain and arrest him on an outstanding trespassing warrant.
“He pulled away, turned around and confronted the female officer in an aggressive manner,” he said. “She turned him around and brought him to the ground, which is when he struck his face on the bathroom floor.”
Ciccone was transported to Munson Medical Center where he received several stitches. Heffner said the hospital recorded Ciccone’s blood-alcohol level at .40, or five times the level for intoxication in Michigan.
The officer originally was dispatched to the civic center at about 11 p.m. on a report Ciccone refused to leave a detached bathroom and challenged a cleaning crew. The officer also was informed about Ciccone’s warrant.
Police reports stated the warrant stemmed from a March incident in which Ciccone reclined in front of a fireplace at Horizon Books downtown and refused to leave the store.
Ciccone has several previous trespassing-related charges. Heffner said Ciccone hadn’t been aggressive in his previous dealings with police.
I don’t know what else to report about this story that won’t come off as judgmental or unsympathetic towards Anthony’s case, but I have little sympathy for addicts who could get clean if they wanted it enough. I realise that addiction is a slippery slope (as we’ve seen with Ozzy Osbourne, recently), but someone who’s a total waster and doesn’t even try, instead blaming the world around him for his troubles, needs to shut the f-ck up and get it together.
April 25, 2013 at 10:30 am by Jennifer
Chris Brown is a hated celebrity but apparently not as much as Anne Hathaway (which James Franco totally gets, btw). Star magazine released their super scientific list of top 20 most hated Hollywood celebrities. Weirdly Jay Leno is more hated than Chris Brown, which is making me laugh really hard. Here’s the stupid list:
20. Chris Brown
19. Jesse James
18. Taylor Swift
17. Shia LaBeouf
16. Lindsay Lohan
15. Angelina Jolie
14. Jay Leno
13. Ashton Kutcher
12. LeAnn Rimes
10 and 11. Kris Jenner and Kim Kardashian
9. Anne Hathaway
8. Justin Bieber
6. Matt Lauer
5. Katherine Heigl
4. John Mayer
3. Jennifer Lopez
2. Kristen Stewart
1. Gwyneth Paltrow
This is a pretty good list. I’m shocked to see that Kanye West isn’t on here. I love him but I thought he was one of the most hated people around. I’m not sure if he’s psyched or pissed not to be included. I also didn’t realize that people hated Matt Lauer this much. Damn. Too bad this poll was taken after Justin Bieber’s idiotic Anne Frank statement or I’m sure he would be higher up. Kristen Stewart now has the dubious honor of being one of the most hated and least attractive female celebrities. Hey, good for her! At least she’s good at stuff!
Who is your ultimate most hated celebrity?
April 16, 2013 at 4:30 am by Catherine St. Ives
Even Malawi has had enough of Madonna. Despite having adopted two children from the country, Malawian president Joyce Banda recently issued a statement basically telling the state that there’s no need to give the ‘Material Girl’ singer any special treatment, despite what Madonna herself might expect. This came after reports surfaced that Madonna was unhappy with the way she was treated during her last visit to Malawi, where I guess she expected a red carpet and a place to take her Instagram selfies in peace.
From Nyasa Times:
State House has noted these claims and misgivings. State House has followed the debate incidental to these claims with keen interest, and would wish to respond as follows to put the record straight:
1. Neither the President nor any official in her government denied Madonna any attention or courtesy during her recent visit to Malawi because as far as the administration is concerned there is no defined attention and courtesy that must be followed in respect of her.
2. In any case, even if the defined parameters of attention and courtesy existed in respect of Madonna, the liberties of discretion to give or not to give that attention or courtesy would ordinarily and naturally remain the preserve of the host. Attention or courtesy is never demanded.
3. Granted, Madonna has adopted two children from Malawi. According to the record, this gesture was humanitarian and of her accord. It, therefore, comes across as strange and depressing that for a humanitarian act, prompted only by her, Madonna wants Malawi to be forever chained to the obligation of gratitude. Kindness, as far as its ordinary meaning is concerned, is free and anonymous. If it can’t be free and silent, it is not kindness; it is something else. Blackmail is the closest it becomes.
4. Granted, Madonna is a famed international musician. But that does not impose an injunction of obligation on any government under whose territory Madonna finds herself, including Malawi, to give her state treatment. As stated earlier in this statement, such treatment, even if she deserved it, is discretionary not obligatory.
5. It should be put on record that Madonna did not come to Malawi at the invitation of the President nor her government. In other words, she was neither the guest of the President nor of her government.
6. For all that is known, she came to Malawi like any other visitor that feels like coming to Malawi. Such visitors don’t have to meet with the President and are never amenable to state attention or graces.
7. If the argument is that because she is an internationally renowned star, and, therefore, Madonna believes she deserved to be treated differently from other visiting foreigners, it is worth making her aware that Malawi has hosted many international stars, including Chuck Norris, Bono, David James, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville who have never demanded state attention or decorum despite their equally dazzling stature.
8. Among the many things that Madonna needs to learn as a matter of urgency is the decency of telling the truth. For her to tell the whole world that she is building schools in Malawi when she has actually only contributed to the construction of classrooms is not compatible with manners of someone who thinks she deserves to be revered with state grandeur. The difference between a school and a class room should be the most obvious thing for a person demanding state courtesy to decipher.
9. For her to accuse Mrs. Oponyo for indiscretions that have clearly arisen from her personal frustrations that her ego has not been massaged by the state is uncouth, and speaks volumes of a musician who desperately thinks she must generate recognition by bullying state officials instead of playing decent music on the stage.
10. For all that is known, Mrs. Oponyo has never been responsible for arranging state meetings with foreigners who are looking for those meetings. If Madonna was indeed a VIP and a regular guest of State Governments as she wants to be seen and treated, she would have been familiar with procedures that have to be followed to get such meetings. They don’t happen by simply sneaking into a country whose President and Government you scarcely desire to meet.
11. Even if Madonna followed the procedures to have her meetings with the President or government officials, the administration reserved all its rights to grant the meetings or not.
It must be noted that the President, Her Excellency Dr. Joyce Banda and her Government are ready to welcome any philanthropist seeking to assist in improving the welfare of the people of Malawi knowing that Her Excellency, herself, is a known philanthropist. However, acts of kindness must always remain as such; they must not smack of blackmail. In addition, let philanthropists not hold to ransom the President and any official of her Government because they showed some kindness to any Malawian.
Well, that was intense – and a total BURN on Madonna. Seriously, you don’t become the hero of Malawi just because you have two children from the country. You didn’t do them a favour by adopting two children, so time to climb down off your high horse, lady.
April 11, 2013 at 7:30 am by Jennifer
Like many famous people, Madonna has a family member who’s trying to cash in on her success and undeniable bitchiness. The star’s estranged brother, Anthony Ciccone, has gone to the press to run his mouth about what a cold-hearted snake he has for a sister, claiming that she doesn’t care about his homeless, alcoholic ass and wouldn’t even be bothered if he died.
From The Daily Mail (so GIANT grain of salt suggested):
Anthony Ciccone – who has been on the streets for almost three years – claims his superstar sister doesn’t care if he is dead or alive.
However MailOnline can exclusively reveal his family is in fact terrified he could die at any moment and are devastated they can’t save him.
To add to his woes the down and out recently spent a month in jail after being arrested intoxicated in a church and swearing in front of children.
In an exclusive investigation into the heartbreaking family feud MailOnline can reveal how:
- He had to spend a month locked up because he unable to pay his fine for trespass and being drunk and disorderly
- He is currently fighting to survive a harsh winter where temperatures frequently drop as low as -10c
- He lost his job at the family vineyard after being found sprawled on his back drinking wine straight from the vats
- Alcoholic Anthony claims his family have ‘stood against him completely’ and he only needs their ‘love and care’
- His heartbroken father drives out to the streets to give him leftovers
Speaking exclusively to MailOnline, the 56-year-old said: ‘Madonna doesn’t give a shit if I’m dead or alive.She lives in her own world.
‘I never loved her in the first place, she never loved me. We never loved each other.
‘My father would be very happy if I died of hypothermia and then he would not have to worry about it anymore. He’s old school, he grew up in the depression.
‘He doesn’t want to be bothered, he’s lived his life you see. He doesn’t like me. He doesn’t want me to be me, he wants me to be somebody else. He thinks the way I live is intentional. He simply doesn’t know me.’
Uh… wow. Listen, substance abuse is a serious thing and incredibly difficult to overcome, but considering that bullet list above (which I’m sure is only the tip of the iceberg), is there any wonder the family has cut contact with him? It’s not like this dude just became an alcoholic, it’s been going on for years. And unfortunately, addicts have to want help – you can’t force them to want to get better. Anthony clearly doesn’t, from the looks of things. I’ve been in a situation where I’ve had to cut off a family member when I reached the end of my rope. It was really difficult, but ultimately necessary. That’s just how it goes. Then again, he keeps saying he’s entirely alone and yet the dad is still bringing him food, so…
something doesn’t add up here.