126Angelina Jolie Confirms That Shiloh is Transgendered

Shiloh Jolie-Pitt Living as a Little Boy

It’s been rumored for awhile now that Shiloh Jolie-Pitt lives her life at home as a boy, demanding that she be called James and that she dress like her brothers, and now we have confirmation from Angelina Jolie that this is true.

Angelina spoke to Vanity Fair this month about many aspects of her life, but particularly her children and her relationships with them. Corageously, Angelina spoke quite casually about her daughter’s demands to live her life as a boy, simply saying, “She likes to dress like a boy. She wants to be a boy. So, we had to cut her hair. She likes to wear boys’ everything. She thinks she’s one of the brothers.”

Shiloh is young enough that her preference to live life as a boy might be a phase, but if not, I think that it’s wonderful that Angelina is so open and “whatever” about her daughter’s sexuality. So many families deal with raising a child that feels it was born in the wrong body, and a mainstream celebrity saying that they are going through the same thing at home gives those families a sense of normalcy. Granted, it’s sad to think that a celebrity saying they have a transgendered child would make all that big of a difference, but it does feel like a cultural milestone. While someone like Chaz Bono lived his life as a disappointment to his parents, Shiloh’s being embraced in the public eye. That feels like kind of a big deal.

June 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm by Molls

126 Responses to “Angelina Jolie Confirms That Shiloh is Transgendered”

• Anonymous says:

Having a insane mother who dresses her newborn daughter in skulls is transgender? This is not shilohs choice. This is abuse.

• Jamie says:

Yes it is considering anyone who knows about really young children knows they could care less about the clothing they wear, yet this one has been dressed as a boy since day one. This shows how sick and perverse Miss Jolie is.

• Evelyn says:

It’s not abuse. It’s what the child wants. Angelina Jolie is not forcing her child to dress like that. Shiloh WANTS to be dressed like that.

• Lance says:

Really, abuse?!!! Grow up!

• Onpui says:

She didn’t dress her daughter as a boy since day 1 ? are you stupid there’s picture of her wearing a dress with long hair e_e

• Seth says:

I think this is awesome..the freedom to let your kid grow up and identify themselves of how they feel inside. Being transgender is a real thing. I am transgender also. We do not wake up one morning and say hey lets change genders so everyone will make fun of us, or wondering we walk out of our house will it be the last time? We can get killed just for wanting to be true to ourselves? How would you take it if your kid came to you and said I am transgendered? We are all human and have feelings? Image tomorrow you woke up in the opposite gender you are now, but you still have the brain of the gender you been use too…just think about that! Thats what we feel like everyday!

• loveit says:

I think it’s so adorable how my little boy at age 2 1/2 rushes to cars, dinosaurs, transformers, etc and shows no interest in anything pink or “girly”. He absolutely loathes my daughters things and likes to dress in traditional boy clothes. With that being said, i’m not sure whether you people are living on planet delusion or what but KIDS pick what they like. KIDS gravitate and show interest in the things they like. There is NO way I could force my boy to wear/act girly. There is no way a parent would/could ever force their kid to act as a different sex, so cut it out with those accusations. It is our job as parents to be supportive of our kids interest no matter what the world thinks. Shiloh or James looks VERY happy and I applaud the Pitt’s for standing by their baby. There are so many children born into the wrong bodies and it is our jobs as citizens to accept and defend our nations kids. I pray James/Shiloh is always surrounded by intelligent, open minded, accepting people and I pray you evil people realize holding anger in your heart will effect no one worse than yourself.

1. Lizzy says:

This is good news, and it is great that she isn’t being forced to conform to her sex. I’d just like to point out that gender identity has NOTHING to do with sexuality.

2. Megan says:

I knew it!

• Lindy says:

Gender-identity is a huge part of who someone is. There is nothing he(!) should or would reconsider about his identity.

3. Bryan says:

That’s really a very respectable action that Angelina Jolie did. It’s good that she isn’t trying to kill her daughter for that but still, I hope her daughter reconsiders.

4. zaggmate says:

I like the family!

5. Grey says:

*Not her sexuality. Sexuality = sexual orientation. This deals with gender status.

• s.scott says:

Your gender is how you feel about yourself, and identify as male or female. It is not who you are attracted to which is your orientation, be it the same or opposite sex.

6. erin says:

this is just wonderful. FINALLY people will start to understand. and it isnt a choice, to the person who said they hope he reconsiders.

7. This is a bunch of crap.It’s monkey see monkey do.She is envy of her older brothers toys they are way more cool than her dolls.

8. Fede says:

this is so wrong, please says something coherent, we are contributing to damage the internal image of a girl, when it should be cared for. Brad and Angelina should go to a psychologist to see what is happening, not because they are seen as men but to cut her hair, encouraging this, and Angelina had to show a very troubled with this girl, blow it calls the attention of her mother. When a teenager to dress and choose the pair you want, while you have to take care

9. Jaz says:

This might be a phase, it might not be a phase. Either way, I dont mind.

10. Northpal says:

This is the result of the damage the Frankfurt School satanists have brought this nation. Those two freaks should not be allowed to be around children. The rest of the self interest groups bent on destroying this nation must be imprisoned for life. Parents better start to stand up NOW to the school boards and organizations that are infiltrated with those FREAKS trying to create a artificial normal out of abnormal. Listen up FREAKS, the kid gloves are off!

• clare says:

I guess you think that you are a good person..or one of God’s children!? Seriously??!! Such hatred!!! This child,male or female is perfect! Who gives any of us the right to look and judge. Angelina and Brad are obviously doing what is Best for their child,they are listening to him and easing what must be a very confusing and heartbreaking transition. No doubt if you had a child born different in your eyes that child would never dare utter its feelings…you would be the bad parent….and i would hate to think of a world full of your kind,but gladly it is not. We are educated people of all races and beliefs..where sexual orientation and gender does not define us as satanic! I am Roman Catholic and my belief is that God created us all,children being the purest creation..if that child says he is a boy in a girls body then he IS!God made him,He is Perfect!

• loveit says:

The world is changing. Get with it or get lost, peasant.

• Sandeana says:

Shiloh is a girl, not a boy. She is possibly a lesbian. But she is NOT a boy. Boys are boys & girls are girls. Whether they are straight or gay is another matter. Sexual orientation is a reality. Transgenderism is obviously a mental illness & needs to be treated by a psychiatrist, not sex change surgery. Boys cannot be changed into girls & vica versa. DNA testing always tells the truth.

11. david says:

enough with this sick gay friendly shit in our schools. This is how a small group of freaks control the rest of us

• Morgan says:

I don’t feel as though anyone is controlling me, or my kids. Count yourself lucky that you weren’t born into the wrong body. Gender identity isn’t a choice. NO ONE would CHOOSE to go through the hostility or abuse that people like you heap upon them. I think these kids and families have a rare kind of bravery to ALLOW their children to BE WHO THEY ARE, regardless of societal pressures and bigotry. I’m relieved that my kids are happy with their genders, because if someone like you said or did anything to hurt a transgender child of mine, I’d lose it and likely not be able to control my rage. Children are who they are, and bless the modern age for the openness we are coming into, regardless of a few Neanderthals like you.

12. Sandra Conti says:

I think it’s so so sad that this little girl thinks she’s a boy. Maybe Angelina did take her to a doctor to see what was going on in that little brain of hers, but who knows. Let’s hope it’s a phase and nothing more. Too bad she’s not in dresses, and hopefully she will get out of wanting to be a boy and doing boy things. What a drag if Shiloh does grow up to be a man…omg, how aweful would that be. I think Angelina is trying to play it cool for the public, as if it’s nothing she’s too concered with, but really now, how aweful would that be??

• Anonymous says:

It probably was a shock initially, but the struggle must subside when the parent realizes that their child’s happiness comes before any vision of what the parent forces upon them. It’s not awful–Angelina is encouraging her child to express him/herself freely. If only all parents could do that!

13. LegalEase says:

So I just saw this because people have been recently commenting on it….WHERE DOES IT SAY THE KID IS CONFIRMED TRANSGENDERED? Nothing above says Angelina confirmed Shiloh being transgendered, she just likes to dress like a boy. That does not transgendered make. Horrible, horrible “journalism”.

• stup1dpeepole says:

Actually this terminology is correct. except transgender is more appropriate. the umbrella term meaning between two typical definitions of gender. “transgendered” is grammatically turning a noun into a verb. An example of this would be: I websited your comment

14. julia says:

I think jolie hates shiloh deep down and only made her to get brad pitt…She called her a blob and then an outcast!! come on, this woman is sick!! How can someone so sick can adopt kids?!! OMG! I think this little girl wants to be a boy because she fells her mother loves them more….If she doesn’t like dresses, fair enough but it is wrong to buy her clothes made for boys!!..this is so sick!! this brad pitt is such a dumb ass! how can he let jolie hurt his daughter like that and do nothing??!! what a moron!

• loveit says:

That’s weird because the only one who looks idiotic here is you. Grow up, and realize the world doesn’t revolve around what your incredibly ignorant mind thinks.

15. Freddi says:

I think it is odd tha it just happended to happen to Angelina Jolie not relatively un troubled women like Carrie Underwood or Natalie Portman ???!
    I think Angelina does favor the boys and it may be permanent for poor Shiloh.
    Being transgendered is absolutely OK ..but I think it has been foisted on Shiloh ….

16. Marta says:

Sad. Jolie lives her life godlessly and now her children are involved. Pitt allows himself to be toted around by Jolie and is in her evil little web. Being politically correct in our responses gets us nods but really most parents in the US and worldwide for that matter would be a bit concerned at best if this were rheir child and it ends up being anything more than a phase. I applaud Cher for her genuine mixed emotions and even grief when her daughter transgendered. That’s not PC but is REAL!!

17. Evelyn says:

Wow some of you guys are complete idiots. There is nothing wrong with being transgender, and it has nothing to do with how the parents raise their child.

But I’d just like to say, dressing as a boy doesn’t necessarily confirm that Shiloh is transgender. And whether he/she is or not, it’s not really anyone’s business.

• clare says:

Agreed!IF this helps some parents accept a transgender or even a cross dressing child then its worth the discussion though.

• Lance says:

EXACTLY. No one’s business.

• tharl says:

Hey, thanks for calling others complete idiots simply because their views don’t align with yours. Who says it’s “completely okay to be transgender”? You, and those who agree with you. Well, okay, that is one opinion. It’s also completely okay to hold a different view about the issue, so long as tolerance is extended, and there are MANY reasons why one might hold such a view. Seriously, you resort to name calling simply because someone’s views are not in line with yours? Wow, just wow.

18. Kelly says:

It’s not about sexual orientation. It’s about gender. There are many gays and lesbians who feel they are the right gender. This is about waking up every day in the wrong body.

19. Zumarrad Saravan says:

Sad story. The APA still considers the “transgendered” belief that they are “trapped” in a body of the wrong sex to be a depressive psychosis. This child is far too young to be so labeled just because she is obsessed with being like her brothers. There is so much that we do not know about the brain and behavior. Better research tools are currently revealing that retro-viral and human and animal DNA contamination of vaccines can cause strange changes in brain tissue and chemistry. This type of delusion, if it persists, could be related to brain chemistry malfunction due to contamination of vaccines. Hope this wealthy family is not already planning the mutilating surgery which many feel is unethical and certainly is incabable of actually changing woman into a man.

20. Jonah Richardson says:

I am a female to male transgender person born in the Deep South in 1957. It is not an easy condition to have and I would never cheer the case of a child as young as Shiloh having Gender Identity Disorder. However any transgender child greatly appreciates the loving support of a family such as Brad and Angeleno. I had to endure social reconditioning and was rejctd by my family. Be yourself Shiloh!

21. Judy says:

When Shiloh was first introduced to the public, Angelina dressed her in skull bone onsie’s. I thought it was weird then and it’s even more strange now. Angie wants her child to be transgender, she never embraced the fact that she was a girl. It wasn’t Shilohs choice when she was an infant to be dressed as a boy!!!!!

22. Transgender MTF says:

Bunch of idiots!! As a trasgender person who had my mom and my family give me absolute HELL over my transgenderism as a kid, I am disgusted by many of this comments.
    Shiloh is in fact transgender, as transgender is any person who doesn’t conform to society’s excpectations of male and female roles, which shiloh obviously i conforming to. That, however, doesnt mean the child is transsexual, and that he or she will go through a sex-change procedure.

From experience I know that being against a child’s transgender behaviour doesnt stop the child from being transgender, it just makes the life miserable, resentful and then have to deal with low-self esteem for experiencing ABUSE, because that’s what it is, from your parents.

23. brande says:

Angelina is forcing this on her. She has been dressing her like a boy since she was too young to dress herself. Hollywood is going to give young kids the impression that it is cool to be a transgender. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but it should be something you just are not an option for something you could be. These people have no business being in the news or role models.

24. Purple says:

Shiloh was mostly dressed as a girl in infancy and toddlerhood.

25. Dee More says:

Shiloh will live her life the way that suits HER…thanks to her understanding a progressive parents.

26. Dee More says:

Shiloh will live her life the way that suits HER…thanks to her understanding & progressive parents.

• Sandeana says:

Sonny & Cher only had one child, Chastity who is now Chaz. In 1977, Cher had a son with Gregg Allman, Elijah Blue Allman who is a straight male. He recently got married,& is going to be a dad, I think.

27. christy lewis says:

Makes you wonder what kind of drugs sonny and cher were taking in the 60′s with two trany kids! What kind of toxic make up and perfumes the jolie pitts use as in that ridiculous commmercial of brads for chanel! Hacking toxic perfume!! Probably throwing toxic sperm! Something was switched in the gene pool!

it doesn’t matter if someone is transgendered. Shiloh should live her life like she wants. If she wants to dress like a boy, it;s okay. i know some girls that dress like boys.

29. Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and itt pinched her ear.She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

30. Daniel says:

I’m a gay guy, and i still think this is really wrong. Where are the good old parents when you need them?!

31. Peggy says:

It’s a shame & disgrace that our society has come to this when transgender, homosexual, etc behavior is so accepted & publicized. Humans are suppose to be the intelligent species so scientists say, but isn’t it ironic that animals don’t exhibit this kind of behavior. It’s a sad day in America for our young generation & someone’s next comment will be that I’m a bigot, but I’m not. I’m for what’s right & wrong & by accepting this kind of behavior, society is condoning it. People are not born that way. They choose to be that way.

• kouji says:

oh piggy you poor little waste of human sperm, didn’t you know that animals could be homosexuals too ? since you’re speaking “science” you should google some scientific facts about homosexuality and transgender in animals you might find it useful.As a transguy who lives in a society full of your kind, you and the likes of you should be ashamed of yourselves for speaking things you know nothing about.And we are born this way .. did you choose to be straight ?i don’t think so, you were born this way.Next time you want to speak science double check your facts before you say anything that make you sound dumb.

Angelina said she had trouble loving Shiloh because she was ‘boring’ compare to her two adopted sons Maddox and Pax who are ‘survivors’ so the little girl learned that if she wanted to be loved by her own mother she would have to become like them and be less ‘boring’. A transgender is far from being boring…. poor little girl.

33. Kates says:

“I think that it’s wonderful that Angelina is so open and “whatever” about her daughter’s sexuality”

Gender and sexuality are two different things. If Shiloh is transgendered, that has to do with how her/his brain identifies between male or female or somewhere in between. Sexuality has to do with what one is attracted to sexually. Please, stop conflating the two.

And Peggy, do just a soupcon of research and you’ll find there are a great many species who exhibit homosexual behaviour.

34. kimcheee says:

Although I think that Shiloh is genuinely transgendered, I can’t help but consider that Angelina’s choice to publicly address this fits in with the programming agenda currently at play. There is hardly a family television show that features married heterosexual parents and traditional sex roles these days.

Even in cartoons, characters are ‘coming out’ as gay. I don’t care about individual’s sex roles or orientation. People should be who they want to be without being hassled.

However, there seems to be an agenda to promote homosexuality and transgender these days in the media that children want. It’s being pushed. I don’t agree with that. Angelina works for the U.N. and knows too many people at the White House. She is part of furthering agendas. And here she is, publicly outing her daughter at a young age.

Interesting.