Sofia Coppola sums up everything people love or hate about young female filmmakers and fashionistas. Her films are about spoiled and/or depressed young women set to indie music or classic old tunes. She was the face of Marc Jacobs. She was born into Hollywood royalty. People are either fans of hers, or anti-fans — it’s hard to find a middle ground.
So if you love her, you’ll appreciate this list of her favorite things, and if you hate her, it will confirm everything you already hate about her. She spoke with The Wall Street Journal about the objects on her bookshelf and what they mean to her.
Here’s a rundown of her favorite things.
– Pink peonies. (“…my favorite flowers; they remind me of my mother’s garden in Napa, where I grew up.”) The vase they are in was a gift to her aunt given to her from someone working on Apocalypse Now (you know, Sofia’s dad’s film).
– A yellow Pelican camera case. (“…a gift from the camera crew on my film Somewhere.”)
– Photos of her daughter in a photo cube. (“… a gift from photographer Andrew Durham—it’s got pictures of my daughter from a trip to Morocco and Portugal when she was a toddler.”)
– A Contax T3 camera.
– Sofia Sparkling Wine, from her dad’s winery. (“When I was a kid he told me he would produce a vintage for me when I turned 21.”)
– The giant cherries, a prop from a Louis Vuitton display in an LA Vuitton store. (“when they were taking the display down I asked if I could have them.”)
– A photo of Charlotte Rampling. (“a present from the photographer Helmut Newton, whom I love. I’d written a piece about the image for Vogue, and he sent it to me after he read it.”)
– Framed artwork by Ed Ruscha. (It reads “Cold Beer Beautiful Girls”).
– A Steiff bear. (It’s a mohair teddy bear.)
It’s all what you’d expect. A lot of expensive things and a lot of humblebrags. But it makes sense. What else would you get from Sofia Coppola? A vase from Target and fake flowers from Michaels?
Total estimated cost if you’re not Sofia Coppola = $16,400.
Still way cheaper than Gwyneth’s favorite spring outfits.