44David Bowie Is The Most Selfish Man Alive

A photo of David Bowie at the CFDA Fashion Awards

David Bowie, also known as the most talented, most fabulous musician ever, hasn’t released an album since Reality in 2003.  He hasn’t toured since 2004, when he had a heart attack.  That’s a fair reason to put touring on hold for a while, but it’s been six years.  This is the longest hiatus that Bowie’s taken since he began his career in the late ’60′s, and he’s recently said that it’s not going to end any time soon.  In a profile of Bowie’s wife, Iman, Bowie was asked about that hiatus, to which he responded with “I’m not thinking of touring. I’m comfortable.”

Maybe I’m asking too much.  Maybe I was born in the wrong time. Maybe I’m just an obsessive fangirl.  But if I take the energy, time, and money to buy all your albums, tell everyone I’ve ever met about your greatness, and write the script for The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars:  The Musical, then I think I deserve a concert.  Not even a flashy show with dance numbers and high energy, just a little acoustic set would be fine.  I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

June 10, 2010 at 11:33 am by Emily
Filed Under: David Bowie, Iman

44 Responses to “David Bowie Is The Most Selfish Man Alive”

1. pebobryson says:

You remind me of the babe. What babe? The babe with the power. What power? The power of voodoo. Who do? You do. Do what? Remind me of the babe.

2. crunch says:

Emily, you’re now officially my favorite writer on this site.
    David Bowie is greatness in the flesh.

I saw David Bowie on tour in Denver in the somewhere around 2002-2003 …he was the opening act for Moby. Moby!!! Moby should have been opening for Bowie the icon. However, Bowie Did. Not. Disappoint!!!!

4. tac says:

Curious, when did you first buy a Bowie album, Emily?

5. lolitahaze says:

it’s his life, he can do what he wants with it. it sounds like someone is trying to look cooler after outing themselves as a cobra starship fan.

6. simon fc says:

Yeah Dave, tour and risk dropping dead you selfish bastard

7. RG says:

Yeah, cool as he is/was. It’s nice to see someone happy with the bucks they have and enjoying life rather than playing the aging rocker.

Maybe the fact that he was an opening act for someone like Moby at his age also played into it. Who wants to be a second banana when you’ve been up there with the best. Usually that’s reserved for has-beens who’ve spent all their money.

8. Señor Loco says:

He’s in this pretty funny scene from “Extras”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE

9. Matthew Bixler says:

WE NEED NEW BOWIE……..WE NEED NEW BOWIE………

10. Sprocket says:

I met him a few years ago. Ran into him at a city I was working in. A really nice guy.

• Neil mackay says:

I spoke to David, briefly, when he did a concert early in the seventies in aberdeen Scotland and I was alreadyy a massive and have remained so ever since. Saw himat a Glasgow concert in the eighties and would love to see him again butthatsup to him. I am going to booktickets for the exhibition at theV&A.

11. Jane says:

I’ve seen Bowie in concert about 25 times or so. Met him a couple times, nicest guy, and very sweet and genuine. I saw him perform in The Elephant Man twice. He was, and to an extent, remains one of the most important figures in my life. And while I’d love to see him sing again, I’d hate for him to do so without any real desire. That doesn’t make for a very good concert. I agree with a previous post – it’s nice to see someone of his caliber that doesn’t feel the need to play the aging rock star. Bowie is Bowie. Pure and simple. Personally, I wish he’d publish some of that written work he’s so long promised. Stories…autobiography. That would be my wish!

12. DanTheMan says:

Saw him in the late 90′s at the Warfield in San Francisco. One of the best concerts that I’ve ever seen. Under Pressure and Young Americans were the biggest crowd pleasers that night.

I stood in line for hours and didn’t get a ticket but it turned out a high school friend was in line ahead of me and bought two tickets. He talked with me for a few minutes and figured I was a much bigger Bowie fan than his other friend, so I got the ticket.

Bowie’s one of the most influential performance artists alive and I hope he’s around for along time enjoying his life.

Probably my favorite version of any Christmas song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

13. Laura says:

I was in fifth row at that Hurricane Festival Show where he had the heart attack… it was actually one of the best concerts I've have seen in my entire life. We we're very shocked to here what had happened afterwards though… But he is doing well so I don't have to feel stupid for having enjoyed myself so much during the show… ;)

14. Laura says:

hear. GEE

15. kohoutek says:

I was just thinking this the other day. Bowie needs to tour soooon. I never went to see him because I was convinced he'd be around FOREVER. Now I'm concerned I'm never going to have my chance to kiss him and hug him and make him fall in love with me…. ;)

16. mlr says:

Or maybe you're the most selfish fan alive. How do you know he's well enough to tour?

17. Mark says:

Bowie despises corporations, any Bowie fan knows this to be true. He has to FIGHT with them when he goes into the studio, in an era of Lady Ga Ga , Lady Stardust's real creative art doesn't compete because corporations don't want art, they want money. Bowie is art as you know. He also has a daughter and he has given his fans a whole lot to last a lifetime. Look at the 90's on to Reality, he was nailing album after album. He deserves a break even if I want a new album or you want a tour.

18. Leon says:

I don't care much for Bowie touring again, but I do hope that once in a while he goes into the studio to record a new album.

19. Lindamller says:

If he wants to put his feet up and coast, WHO ARE WE to try to chivvy him back into the studio? If I woke up next to Iman every morning I wouldn't want to go out either.

20. halloween jack says:

leave the guy alone, he's reality tour was his swansong whether
    you like it or not.
    I have seen bowie over 50 times including his last UK gig at the Isle of Wight Festival in June '04, and I am happy with that.
    However some new material, in any form, yeh I'd be comfortable with that?
    yours,
    TJN

21. Hi. Very interesting site. I found it on Yahoo. I will definately recommend it to my friends. Please keep up the great work.

22. thnx for sharing this blog post.

23. Extremely interesting. I like the way you write. Do you currently have an RSS feed?

24. Hi, i must say fantastic website you have, i stumbled across it in Yahoo. Does you get much traffic?

25. Great page, I like how the website looks! The style is great!

26. gordon says:

I think its you who is selfish, he has done so much for his fans throughout his career and you just keep asking for even more? He might do more, but he deserves much better than you for a fan. Most selfish man in the world? You my friend are an idiot.

27. valkyrie says:

Lost what I was going to say in an error.

Might aswell say this, though:

It’s a downright shame and pity that trash like this is the first to pop up when searching his well being status.

Grow up.

28. Bryan says:

Well, actually, I’m impressed with him. He hasn’t been working for a long time and yet he isn’t broke. Look at other stars out there who lost their job, they are having a hard time. That just proves he is good with money and isn’t too materialistic.

29. Shaun says:

yeah I’m pretty sure he doesn’t owe you a damn thing

30. Melli says:

DUDE!!! I TOTALI AGREE!!!! you should join the facebook group “David Bowie COME BACK”

31. linda badham says:

How can anyone call DB selfish ? I’d rather respect what hes done (which i do and it’s a hell of a lot) and wish him well with all he chooses to do. I absolutely love him and would love to go see him live but if it aint gonna happen it aint, i still love him and respect him and wish him all he wishes for himself. he is 65 now and maybe don’t want to perform like he did before. Having had a heart attack isn’t pleasant and although you recover ,it never leaves your mind i know iv’e been there.

32. Djones says:

you are an obsessive fan girl.

33. dj says:

Unfortunately he would be quiet underrated for there’s no more such taste in music although I’d be quiet happy to hear him again

34. Terri says:

Your the selfish one, would rather see David happy and healthy than remembered after an untimely death due to pushing himself. He already sacrificed many years of his life for us fans let him enjoy semi retirement

35. Paul Walter says:

This is a spoof, right?

He’s been going since the sixties. He deserves a rest and a bit of normal life.

Bowie has been my hero since ‘Life on Mars’.

36. Kelly says:

Im always like *Damnit Bowie, make more albums and TOUR!* but in reality I know he’s probably happy just where he is and he owes noone anything. I would rather him live the rest of his life happily with his family, than die soon from pushing himself. He’s given so much already. I think it would be nice though, if he really is at the end of his career to write an autobiography :) Above all, he needs to tell people that he’s retired and wont be doing any more shows or albums (if its true). Its just cruel to have all these fans at the edge of their seats. :)