Earlier today, UK tabloid The Sun released an article claiming they had information on the results of Michael Jackson’s autopsy. They said Jackson’s weight was down to 110 pounds, that he had no food in his stomach, just pills, that he had cuts and bruises on his arms and back, and a bunch of other horrible stuff.
The Los Angeles coroner says this information is false. “The report that is being published did not come from our office,” said the coroner’s spokesman. “I don’t know where that information came from, or who that information came from. It is not accurate. Some of it is totally false.”
Despite an attempt at taking vacation last week, I couldn’t escape a billion people asking me what I thought happened with Michael Jackson. So I’ll say my piece here: The man died of a drug overdose, plain and simple. My guess is, when the toxicology reports are released, you’ll see in his system much of the same things we saw in Heath Ledger and Anna Nicole’s autopsy: There will be benzodiazepines, there will be sleeping pills, and there will be pain killers. There will be all the pills you see in the system of any prescription drug addict, of any prescription med overdose.
I feel so stupid for having missed this — all these years, I thought Michael Jackson was just flat-out insane. I watched him in interviews and thought, “Man, this dude’s just off his rocker.” I chalked it up to child-star syndrome. But I was wrong — he was high. It’s becoming clear that Jackson was a likely a long-time drug addict, and he needed help that never came. It sheds an entirely new light on the events of the past decade of his life.
I know we can’t do much talking about it until we get the tox reports back and we know this for sure, but hopefully yet another high-profile death by prescription drug overdose will convince other people out there struggling with addiction to ask for and accept help. Hopefully this can serve as a reminder that prescription drug abuse can and does claim lives.