It’s been 8 years since Heath Ledger’s death from a lethal combination of pills in his Manhattan home, and now his father is speaking out about the tragic loss.
Kim Ledger says his son, who died in 2008 at the young age of 27 after taking a concoction of oxycodone, diazepam, hydrocodone and doxylamine, has only himself to blame for his passing. “It was totally his fault. It was no one else’s – he reached for them. He put them in his system. You can’t blame anyone else in that situation.”
He was quick to note that this realization was especially hard for him because he loved him so much and was so proud of his son.
Mr Ledger revealed his daughter Kate called her brother the night night before his fatal overdose and implored him to get control of his addiction. He said Health simply assured her “Katie, Katie, I’m fine. I know what I’m doing.”
Kim Ledgers statements come after a survey revealed 30% of Australians (Healths birth country) don’t admit to their prescription drug use because the fear they’ll be judged by society. His concerns for others not seeking help forced him to confront his sons demons.