I have to say, this year’s Grammys was the best awards show I’ve seen in a really long time. It reminded me of the VMAs long ago, back when they were a showcase of creative genius and true musical talent and not a platform for Kanye West to embarrass himself annually while the MTV execs cackle with glee over how often this obnoxious, “unplanned” clip is going to be replayed on the nightly news.
The show went smoothly and tastefully. I thought nearly all the performances were mind-blowing — oddly enough, my least favorite was my beloved Taylor Swift’s. I think she just didn’t stand a chance up there compared to some of the most seasoned performers in the world. But she maybe didn’t have to be so flat, either. And, as much as I adore the girl, she probably didn’t deserve album of the year. Like, really, that should have gone to Beyonce or Lady Gaga. Taylor’s great, but that wasn’t the best album released this year. I’m not sure how that happened. I was rooting for Anyone But DMB, so I win regardless.
Here are some more general thoughts:
- Nicole Kidman deserves an honorary mention on the “In Memoriam” section. She looks like she died at least once last year.
- Why were the people in the audience wearing the 3D glasses? Like, Celine Dion was actually singing in front of them.
- I was excited that Beyonce performed that bit from “You Oughtta Know,” but was disappointed that they did that without actually involving Alanis Morrissette. I was also a little disappointed that Beyonce flubbed half the lyrics. Like, seriously, who can’t recite the words to “You Oughtta Know” in their sleep by now? You oughtta know those words, B.
- However, Beyonce Knowles is a phenomenally talented woman. And if you didn’t already know that, she was gonna make damn sure you knew it after tonight. Well-played, B.
- Did anyone else feel like Pink borrowed a little tiny bit from Tori Amos’ “Sugar” during her performance? Or am I making that up? Regardless, the whole thing was genius. GENIUS. It was very much like “HEY I’M PINK AND I’M STILL THE REAL THING, BITCHES.” And I looooved it.
- Hey, remember Norah Jones? No?
Anyway. All the gowns are below. Enjoy. Full list of winners can be found here.