As you likely know, Jay Leno, 72, was at his Los Angeles mansion on Saturday when one of his many vehicles ‘erupted into flames without warning’ – with sources telling TMZ the left side of his face was burned.
Leno said: “I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
The host said that he was repairing a clogged fuel line when he got sprayed on his hands and face with gasoline.
Leno was taken to the burn ward at Grossman Burn Center according to TMZ, with his eye and ear not affected by the fire. On Monday, Page Six reported that Leno may need skin grafts as a result of the burns.
George Swift, a mechanic in the comedian’s personal garage, told ET that it was a steam car that sent Leno to the hospital.
“It was a steam car. This steam was made by gas. It got sprayed, as a gas,”
Swift, a mechanic who works at the garage, said.
‘He called me, and he told me there was a fire and the fire department is coming,’ the employee continued.
In a separate interview with Access Hollywood, Swift said that Leno is ‘going to be fine.’ He added: ‘It’s nothing life-threatening. He’s in great spirits, but you know, it’s going to take a while.’