Britain’s Prince Harry has proposed to American gal pal Meghan Markle and the couple will tie the knot in the spring of 2018, Clarence House announced Monday.
“His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms Meghan Markle,” the royal residence said in a statement.
The 33-year-old prince — who has long been one of Britain’s most eligible bachelors — and his 36-year-old fiancée will appear at Kensington Palace on Monday afternoon to record a TV broadcast to air in the evening.
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh said they were “delighted” with the news and wish the couple “every happiness,” according to the Telegraph.
Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, said: “We are very excited for Harry and Meghan. It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together.”
Markle’s parents wished their daughter and the prince “a lifetime of happiness.”
“We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry,” they said, according to the outlet. “Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents.”
The pair became engaged in London earlier this month after a whirlwind 16-month romance, Clarence House revealed.
“Prince Harry has informed Her Majesty the Queen and other close members of his family. Prince Harry has also sought and received the blessing of Ms. Markle’s parents,” the statement said.
The couple will live together in Harry’s current home, Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace.
Markle is expected to become a duchess — just like Middleton did when she became the Duchess of Cambridge after saying her vows in 2011.
The actress will likely become HRH the Duchess of Sussex — if Harry is made the Duke of Sussex by the Queen on the morning of his wedding.
1 CommentLeave a comment
The actress will likely become HRH