On June 1st Andrew Koppel, the son of TV news anchor Ted Koppel, was found dead in his New York apartment. His autopsy results were released today and it was revealed that Andrew died from a drug and alcohol overdose. In his system was found an insane combination of heroin, cocaine, generic Valium and other prescription pills, as well as a whole lot of liquor.
The story from People.com:
Koppel, who lived in Queens with his girlfriend and baby daughter, began a drinking binge around noon on May 31 at a bar in Hell’s Kitchen where he befriended Russell Wimberly, a 32-year-old waiter, according to reports.
The two drank all day and arrived together at Wimberly’s friend’s Washington Heights apartment late in the evening. “[Andrew] wasn’t even really walking. He wasn’t making sense,” the friend, Belinda Caban, told PEOPLE.
A few hours after putting him to bed, Wimberly and Caban discovered Koppel wasn’t breathing and called 911.
There are a lot of sad things about this story, but what stands out to me is that Koppel didn’t get that fucked up alone. Normally when we hear these stories it’s about someone who died while experimenting during a particularly dark time (Heath Ledger, DJ AM.) This guy went and found a bad influence friend at a bar in the middle of the day and now some little girl’s father is dead. I’m not saying that Wimberly was responsible for Koppel’s death, but there was no way that he was completely ignorant to his drug usage.
Hang out with good people who don’t let you do stuff like this, guys. It makes a huge difference.