61Weed’s Pretty Much Legal Now

tfs_mm_hollywoodog

Stoners and sufferers of chronic pain are celebrating together this weekend: Barack Obama’s Attorney General, Eric Holder, announced this week that the Drug Enforcement Administration would end its raids on state-approved marijuana dispensaries. During the Bush administration, the DEA repeatedly ignored the states’ decisions to legalize medical marijuana by raiding distributors.

“What the president said during the campaign … will be consistent with what we will be doing here in law enforcement,” said Holder. “What (Obama) said during the campaign … is now American policy.”

“My attitude is if the science and the doctors suggest that the best palliative care and the way to relieve pain and suffering is medical marijuana, then that’s something I’m open to,” Obama said in November 2007 at a campaign stop in Audubon, Iowa. “There’s no difference between that and morphine when it comes to just giving people relief from pain.”

What this means for you?

If you live in one of the states where medical marijuana is legal, just find a “friendly” doctor and complain about some sort of chronic pain or anxiety and you’ll be puffing away at the good stuff, totally legally, right away.

Thanks, Mr. President!

February 28, 2009 at 2:14 pm by Evil Beet
Filed Under: Uncategorized

61 Responses to “Weed’s Pretty Much Legal Now”

1. Eli says:

Will more states be approved soon? Who do I need to write to to get my state on the list?

2. ricardo says:

How about just sellin it at walmart?

that would be more convenient to me.

3. Kari says:

I don’t smoke it personally but I LOOOOVE the smell of it when other people are smoking nearby… mmmm.

4. Sarah says:

That is something else. lol

5. Valerie says:

Yeah but there gonna tax that shit like a mother…
    Its a win win situation really.

• Bia says:

Weed! The answer to the economic crisis!

*pictures a marijuana plant with a halo over it*

^_^

• Sharon says:

The thing is, you’re absolutely right. Not only would fully legalizing it end all the wasted money spent to keep pot smokers/dealers in jail, but taxing it would be HUGE for the gov’t. I would love to see this all go down in this term or his next term.

6. Sigh... says:

Hip hip! Puffray:) Call me square, but I’ve never seen weed that looks like that before.

7. Rolls says:

Yet another reason to move south…In Canada they are stiffening any grass related crimes. Barack is smart & realistic…this case, the grass IS greener…teehee

• Donkey Punch says:

Dunno where you are getting your facts. If you get caught with weed in Canada you get a ticket. No arrest.

(of course I am not talking about a brick. I am talking about a few joints or a small bag).

• yo says:

they are only stiffening the laws surrounding trafficking. possession and use remains pretty well legal. if you have less than 30g’s on you all the police do is take it away and pat you on the ass as you walk away. the end.

8. Rocket Surgeon says:

FYI…The weed shown is a picture of a marijuana bud [flower]. The most potent part of the plant and it is a really good picture of what good bud looks like.

• machiel says:

then u havent seen any good herb man..!!
      here in Cape Town, South Africa those buds grow in my grannies garden.. :)

mmmm this makes me happy :D

10. woohoo says:

Whens this shit legal in Ohio, damn it?

11. Jennifer says:

I burn Sage to keep evil away, smells just like it. My neighbors must think I’m a bong head. Shut up DP.

12. Abbi says:

Am i the only one who caught that obama is under the impression there is no difference than giving somebody weed or morphine for pain?

Uh… except weed isn’t physically addictive and is a onehundred times better alternative.

• Jennifer says:

I think Obama and Michelle SMOKE weed. They seem like the type.

• Snidely K. Whiplash says:

umm, yes, weed is addictive. Personally I prefer morphine when I’m in pain.

• Sigh... says:

“Umm,” no. It’s psychologically addictive. Big difference. Abbi is correct.

• medimary says:

ummm-NO-weed is NOT physically addictive- AT ALL.

and there is a ton and a half of research that proves this. it MAY be psychologically addictive but in NO WAY is it physically addictive like nicotine or morphine or even alcohol. but our incredibly hypocritical gov’t makes their $$$ by taxing that shit while pot smokers fill the courtrooms and the jails and the prisons, a courtesy that YOU, the tax payer pay for. that should piss EVERYONE off!

let’s not forget the US Dept of Health applied for and received the patent on weed in 2003 even though they insist it has no medicinal value. why on earth would they do such a thing? there is only one answer to that- it is because of MONEY! they sure don’t want anyone else to profit off of it if they cannot themselves.

13. Karen says:

Just a question for about those states: Can businesses refuse employment for drug tests that are positive for marijuana use? Or fire people, or, I guess, even test people for marijauna use? I quit because of this and am just interested what affect these laws have on these situations in these states.

• medimary says:

ues, unfortunately. there was a precedent setting case in cali where the court upheld the dismissal of a med mj patient due to a positive result on a drug test. but that was under the bush admin and I have high (really HIGH) hopes that will not be the case with the Obama administration.

this fight is just beginning, folks. get on board or get out of the way.

14. dingle says:

God bless america

15. Simon FC says:

Yummy!

16. Melissa says:

hollywood O.G. haha…thats a good one

17. Sometimes says:

They can’t legalize it yet :(

My tombstone is gonna have “Legalize It” engraved on it, true story.

Unless they legalize it before I die… shit.

18. medimary says:

makes me happy—-
    happy that bush is gone & now his supporters can see what a waste it was to try to battle marijuana in the drug war for all those years.
    happy that it is finally more openly available to those that suffer & need a medication that truly works.
    and happy that bush is gone…..oh-did I already say that? oops.

19. Melissa says:

I can totally see my doctor being down with this. Klonopin doesn’t do shit for me anymore anyways, why not get what helps me best legally. It’s gotta be better than the chi-town shake I get from this pathetic kid at work…..

20. yo says:

technically the only conditions that can be treated with medical marijuana are:

AIDS, cancer, chronic pain, anorexia, glaucoma, and arthritis… and in some states, MS and ALS (which would fall under chronic pain).

so go ahead and ruin it for all the sick people who actually need this by finding a shady doctor and getting a not necessary prescription. good idea.

• Sharon says:

Relax. No one’s trying to ruin it for the people who actually need it.
      But this is a HUGE step in the right direction when it comes to an overall more lax policy on smoking.

• Maris says:

And alcohol is good for treating alcohol withdrawal and premature labor. Society has just ruined it’s medicinal purposes…

• Rocket Surgeon says:

I personally have been using weed for 40 years for control of spasms and pain from paralysis.[paraplegia] I am grateful that I can now do so without being concerned about the criminal justice system.

There are greedy people who will ruin it for those of us who genuinely benefit from the medicinal marijuana….and that sucks!

21. angie says:

it’s unbelievable how the americans finally end up with a GOOD president and instead of supporting and acknowledge what he is doing for YOUR country, you’re all over minimal laws’ changes and the shallow effects they’ll have on your pathethic life. get a grip and start wondering about the important stuff he’s been doing, lately.

22. Maris says:

OK, I’m going to weigh in on a serious note here. I worked as an RN for 23 years before I retired, and I never saw one patient suffering from a marijuana related illness. Not one. I saw countless with multi-system organ failure due to alcohol abuse. I think they should legalize and tax it just like alcohol or cigarettes. Can it cause people serious problems? Of course it can, just like anything else that’s abused, even food. It can stunt young people’s mental and emotional development, but so can alcohol, video games, etc. As a recreational drug, I think it’s far safer and more benign than alcohol. How many college kids die every year from alcohol poisoning during hazing ceremonies? You can’t overdose on pot — not physically possible (at least it’s never been documented). I don’t smoke it, but I have in my youth, along with 43% of Americans. Personally, I’d like to see the “reefer-addict” hysteria/mentality come to an end. It’s no more of a gateway drug than is alcohol. I believe that if it were thoroughly studied, medical science might find all kinds of legitimate benefits. The #1 defensible arguement (and the only one IMO) against marijuana is that it’s illegal. When the justice system — from the beat cop to the highest judge — celebrates a marijuana bust by giving a high five to each other and cracking open a beer, or relaxing with a good book and a martini, all for the same escapism they condem, they’re nothing more than narrow-minded hypocrits…

23. Sativa Diva says:

Um, MJ is amazing and it gets me through the day. And I think it smells great. If you don’t, then move a couple feet away!

24. poop says:

weed is awesome its a magical herb provided by god

25. WEEEEEEEEE!!! says:

I hate it when people say weed leads to harder drugs. it doesnt and the only reason that pot smoers go to other drugs is because weed is the most noticeable drug becasue of the thc in it. other drugs are easier and more private to take where as marijuana is definitlty noticeable for its smell and its effects. if it was legalized everyone wud stick to weed

26. rasta spliff says:

everyone should smoke weed
    the world would be a happier place….

27. muck sticky says:

aye man this shit is the shit man i some weed everyday my life i dont give a FUCK!