11Julianne Hough Apologizes For Her Halloween Costume

julianne-hough-orange-is-the-new-black

Julianne Hough dressed up as the character “Crazy Eyes” from the hit show Orange Is the New Black. Cool! The problem is that the actress who plays Crazy Eyes is black, and Ms. Hough isn’t, and she thought it would be appropriate to don blackface (above). Not cool!  I think it’s a great to idea to get a group together and go as the OItNB characters, but come on, painting your face for a darker skin color is never a good idea. It’s just not. Especially if you’re a public figure.

Hough apologized for the backlash via twitter:

I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize.

She’s getting comments back like, “Girl, bye” and “It’s okay, it was Halloween!”

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter | Facebook

October 27, 2013 at 8:30 am by Catherine St. Ives
Filed Under: Julianne Hough

11 Responses to “Julianne Hough Apologizes For Her Halloween Costume”

1. ila says:

this is so stupid, she didnt do black face just extreme tan. also i dont get why this is offensive. people need to grow the fuck up

2. “painting your face for a darker skin color is never a good idea. It’s just not. Especially if you’re a public figure”

i think that about sums it up- i don’t think she was trying to be offensive or disrespectful, but she should know that immitating another ethnicity

3. Alicia says:

Obviously a bad idea, but arguably, not thinking ahead, she just went with the extreme bronzer to get her eyes to stick out–a-la-crazy.

To me, this doesn’t seem like “blackface” or anything else offensive. If someone with a darker complexion wanted to make their skin look lighter for a costume, would I care? Nope!

5. sir michael says:

its 2013 an u no wrong an wright and u r wrong wish. did u like that, reckernize. and may god bless us. lov

6. Smld says:

What is the big deal? So what if a light person paints their face to look black or vise versa. (by the way I have a tan complexion). It’s impersonating, how else would you look like a person unless you do the full on skin change. I mean people are just way too sensitive, the more progressive we get the more antiquated people get, It’s two steps forward one step back.

7. snwbrdr says:

Americans need to get over the white black thing. In switzerland guys paint themselves black and go out in stilts as tall basketball players. Nobody cares.

Only dumb a** americans and stupid media mongrels follow such stupid sh**! Pathetic

8. Andrea says:

So, when black people do it(White Chicks), it`s ok but white people can`t? That`s more raist than any costume

9. Ms. X says:

Only thing that could offend is that she went with a group of white girls and she was supposed to be the “black one”. LoL. Yeah, that joke might be offensive.