Chris Kelly, of Kriss Kross, died suddenly in early May of this year. Drugs were immediately named as the cause of death, but it wasn’t made official until now, when the toxicology screenings came back. There’s not a lot of details on the exact drugs and the amount, but here is what ABC News is reporting:
Chris Kelly of the ’90s rap duo Kris Kross died of a drug overdose, a medical office investigator said Monday.
A toxicology screening revealed that Kelly, 34, had a mixture of drugs in his system when he was pronounced dead on May 1, said Betty Honey of the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s office in Atlanta.
Paramedics found Kelly unresponsive on a living room couch at his Atlanta home and tried to resuscitate him. Kelly, known as “Mac Daddy,” was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Honey said she did not know which specific drugs Kelly had used before his death. However, a police report from the night of Kelly’s death said his mother told investigators her son used cocaine and heroin the night before he died and had a history of drug abuse.
Sadly it’s automatically assumed that when a musician (or actor) is found dead, the reason is a drug overdose. Sometimes it’s surprisingly not true, but in this case, it was. Drugs, man. They’re a hell of a drug.