41Nicki Minaj Says Eminem’s Homophobic Slur in Her Rap Upset Her

Well, thank God for the people at Out Magazine who finally asked the question I’ve been wanting to ask Nicki Minaj since I first heard her collab with Eminem on Pink Friday: “When Pink Friday came out last fall, a lot of people were upset about Eminem’s use of the word “faggot” on your track ‘Roman’s Revenge.’ What’s your take on it?”

I mean, THANK YOU! I can’t tell you how upset I was that Eminem isn’t done (violently) gay-bashing in his songs (even though he says he’s pro-gay marriage,) but I don’t know how Nicki, who is rumored to be bisexual and has a very large gay fan base, allowed a track to be on her album with that kind of language.

Here’s what Nicki had to say:

“You know, if I’m being honest, I didn’t like [him using it]. I spoke to everyone I knew about it. I spoke to my hairdresser, who’s one of my closest friends. I sat him down and said, “Terrence, what do you think about this? How does this make you feel?” And we had a long, long talk. And he said he didn’t feel like Eminem was talking about a gay person. He felt like it was a word being used to describe a straight man, and he didn’t take offense to it. It’s Eminem — I felt like we were creating a movie. And in the same way, I feel like if you were to watch your favorite actor or actress say “faggot” or say “nigger” in a movie, you don’t hate them because it’s like they’re playing a role. “Roman’s Revenge” was more like a theatrical piece. I was a character and [Eminem] was a character. This was Slim Shady and Roman. Of course, when it comes to creativity, there’s such a thin line between creativity and something being offensive. But one thing I knew for sure was that my gay fan base knows about how I feel about them, and I’ve embraced them from the beginning — since my mix-tape days. [Reaching out to gay fans wasn't something I did] once I came into pop culture just to try and get some extra fans. So I felt like the positive would outweigh the negative, and we just kept moving with that”

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Terrance, Nicki’s gay hairdresser, has the final words on all things gay, but I will kinda sorta accept this answer. Both rappers are very theatrical in their verses, and both utilize a whole range of characters. And the entire song is told from the perspective of “Roman,” Nicki’s most angry and vicious character, who just so happens to be gay. Or so she says.

I dunno. I’m not thrilled, but I’ll take it. Where do you guys stand on this?

May 10, 2011 at 3:30 pm by Molls
Filed Under: Nicki Minaj

41 Responses to “Nicki Minaj Says Eminem’s Homophobic Slur in Her Rap Upset Her”

1. Dillon says:

Part of me wishes that the word would be erased entirely from the world’s vernacular, but at the same time, if it’s used in the context of, “I am trying to portray this word to present a certain image”, it seems to be slightly more acceptable. Let’s be honest, the world of comedy and drama, whatever form of media it takes, is going to find some type of use for that word and if it is not in the way of directly looking to offend a certain community, I cannot hold that against someone at the end of the day. That isn’t to say I wouldn’t appreciate it if they decided to find another word to use in place of “faggot”, but it says a lot when a word reaches a level of attention that demonstrates most people, regardless of their gender identity, don’t appreciate when the word is directed towards them or anyone else for that matter.

2. jeremyo13 says:

its just a word. is the implication ugly? sure it is. but even if you banish the word, the hateful feelings in some people are always gonna be there. time to get over it, sack up, and quit being so sensitive america.

3. Dani says:

I really don’t care that he used the word. I don’t usually care when anyone uses it. It only really bothers me when it is blatantly used in a derogatory sense, and when it is, you know it, and then it’s an issue. When it stems from someone’s hate for a certain lifestyle, that’s when it’s an issue, not when it’s said in passing, etc.

4. Stephanie Joy Smith says:

One of the things we like MOST About the artist, Eminem is that there are now boundaries. What most people seem fail to realize is this speaks Highly of him. He uses words b.c. he simply does not harbor feelings Against people.
    If we would all use words more freely the would not have such meanings the Separate us as People. We are People and things such as gender, age, sexual preference and such are just simply not as big of a deal.
    People who play the Card are typically the people who are insecure or Like Drama.
    I appreciate Eminem for all he’s Done to help Tear Down hate. To me, he’s a HERO of All People. 0=)

5. gdga says:

lol, what a bunch of fags

• Kulphap says:

lol, what a fuckin’ homophobe! Idiot assed mutha fucka!

• Fags will be fags says:

yehhhh fuck faggots!! theyre just a bunch of queer bait who like getting railed up the tail pipe!

• Gerry. says:

Hey you sound like your hiding something dude.
        those who stamp there feet the most have skeletons in there closets!
        And anyway its nice getting railed up the tail pipe,
        try it you might like it babe!

6. Blog Mode says:

Very strange hairdress.

7. I think that eminem wuz using it as like callin someone scared like wimpy aka nott a real mann! I’ve read artical online about eminem sayin stuff like “I don’t hav a problem wit gay or lez” no effence 2 nobody ! & him sayin stuff like “if 2 ppl lov eachother then they should go 4 itt” soo sence I lov eminem I think he wuznt being homophobic soo yup !

8. Dillon says:

There comes the certain point though where “faggot” does entail a certain attitude from the person that is using it. That in tandem with the actual implications of the word make it pretty obvious if not entirely intuitive that such a word is morally offensive and really speaks about those who choose to use it. This ultimately makes it hard for me to accept that the word itself has no weight.

9. gerryd says:

I call loads of people faggots. Its not a word I would call a gay person but more like a word I call a straight man who acts gay. Instead I call gay people queers, pillow bitters, shirt lifters. Enjoy going to hell bitches. God didn’t create a man and a women for them to same sex each other.

• Fags will be fags says:

you are the MAN! thats the shit i like to hear! Queer bait, ass rape, and homo fucker are a few i like as well.

• Gerry. says:

you like using all those words cos it reminds you of yourself dude!
        we all know eminem is a complete tosser,and he is homophobic no matter what he says.
        He just trying to be tough, but listen here some gay guys are more manly than eminem.

10. Lulu says:

I don’t see why it matters. I mean, saying ‘faggot’ is bad but saying ‘slut’ ‘bitch’ ‘motherfucker’ isn’t? Why are gay ppl so sensitive? I didn’t hear women complain about the use of the word ‘slut’ in reference to a woman which is extremely offensive. Stfu ppl and grow up… Rap is crass and rude. Dont like? Don’t listen!

11. Deborah says:

Really, what does Nicki Minak want/ She wanted Eminem, she should have asked him to leave the word faggot behind, but as we can see they come as a pair.

• Gerry. says:

nicki minaj is as guilty as eminem for the homophobic
      remark on her music.
      she knew it was going to be on the song and she could have refused to release the song, as for caring for her gay fans, well it certainley looks like it doesnt it!
      shes a first class liar!

12. Kelsey Smith says:

i’m just saying that i’m happy that thire togther and you sould be to.

13. Fred Savage says:

Nicki uses the word “nigga”. Did she have to get her hairdresser’s approval for that?…

regardless of how anyone feels, the song, and that word, is on the album. enough said.

15. Eff NM says:

Oh btchplz. Did anyone actually listen to the lyrics of “Super Bass”?

He made the song Better

17. Mr. Gaylord says:

Gay ppl r gay,

18. OMGOSHNOSHEDIDNT says:

You can’t be serious? All the fucking words young money uses and their fucking complaining about the word faggot? FEMALES SHOULD BE MAD THAT NICKI MINAJ ACT LIKE SHE GAY THAN SAYS SHE ISNT. WTF? How retarded is this bitch and everyone else. Yall have to be fucking kidding me?

19. Kulphap says:

so i can use the word nigger and it’s fine, right? Cause it’s just a word and ain’t talking about those people, right? Eminem is just a slouch fucker that’s too stupid to be black. So he uses all the nigger profanity to try to come off as black.

He’s just trailer trash Yo! A wigger if you will. Don’t nobody need his ass stirring up hatred when there’s enough to go around already. His music ain’t all dat anyway. He can keep that shit in hi s head for all I care.

• yo says:

show me one song where eminem uses that word. He grew up in an area where white people could have been the minority, especially at places where Eminem hung out. I don’t think he’s trying to be black, but more so was exposed to the same things many black people are faced with. Hip hop is primarily African Americans, and if that is his passion and many of his friends are black, what kind of characteristics do you think he is going to develop. 50% of you or more is probably due to your surroundings and what you’re exposed to. So when you elude to him acting black, I think it’s more a cultural thing that many inner city kids in general can relate too. You make it sound like all black people act the same “stereotypical way” when in reality there no different than any other race having mannerisms that relate to their upbringing and surroundings. Eminem was raised in the hip hop world and if mostly ALL rappers give him credit as being one of the best if not THE best, than I don’t see how you can hate….makes you sound racist. BET named him the best rapper of the 21st century and he is the top selling rapper of the decade. 35 million records sold with like 7 albums which is 2nd to Tupac who sold 38 million with 11 albums. Should we make fun of Tiger Woods for acting like the “stereotypical white person”. Em has never used the N word, but that does kind of make you wonder why he uses the F word, but again that’s prob because of who he grew up with and learned to be sensitive and respect the evil that accompanied the N word in the past. Growing up with two dads on the other hand with a gay sister, would prob prevent him from using that word, but I doubt he’d be the same rapper he is now haha.

20. Kulphap says:

Y’alls just stupid bigots on here anyways. Go fux yourself.

21. yo says:

Its just one of those things where the word takes on a different meaning depending on the context and/or who was saying it. I highly doubt Eminem has anything against gay people and a lot of times when other people call somebody a Fa*got, they don’t literally mean FU you same sex loving loser. Its more just a vicious word that is right at the top as far as “dirty language”. When other people are pissed(not saying its right) we may call somebody who we know is straight, a fa*got, but in broad terms it really just means your a F*ckin loser. Just like that other touchy word N*gger, which is often directed at people who aren’t African American. The problem is when people who are gay or black hear somebody say that, they don’t know that person’s true feelings on either subject, and that’s when problems occur, so better to just avoid using those words, but in Eminem’s case, part of what made him big was not give a F*ck. I’ll end on a bad analogy….if I call somebody a C*nt(another word that’s hard to top), I don’t really mean you are a vagina. With all that said, I would never say those words unless joking amongst a small group of my close friends, so nobody gets offended and/or I don’t get my as* beat.

22. Snowman says:

Eminem doesn’t care what you faggots think. He says whatever he wants. That’s why his career is immortal and it’s why Nicki Minaj’s career is gonna fall apart within 3 years.

23. Snowman says:

Nikki Minaj isn’t even attractive. The only reason people think she is hot at all is because she is a fucking slut. She’s way too horny. She humps everything she comes in contact with. Just watch any of her music videos.

24. Jesse says:

I have about 7 gay friends who call people faggots more often then I do. American needs to accept that it’s the same thing as calling someone a shithead now a days, or asshole or any of those “rude words”. Me and my friend frequently address eachother as “hey faggot”, and “hey fucker”. It’s word. Stop being faggots.

25. Fags will be fags says:

If Eminem DIDN’T use faggot in a derogatory way towards homos, I’d be suprised. That’s why I like Eminem. He’s one of few people in the spotlight who’s not afraid to be politically incorrect. And ohhh btw, Eminem is totally homophobic. In many of his Bad Meets Evil songs, he specifically targets fags. He may not admit to it in interviews because, well, he probably doesn’t feel like getting into some huge ass debate with some faggot sympathizing interviewer, but he definitely is according to his lyrics. And ya know what? I don’t have a problem with that.

26. Dawna says:

Has any body showed her “like toy soldiers” yet? Every time someone slammers Eminem He feels like crap, he only does rap for fun sometimes he gets serious but not to much he doesn’t even care what people say about him, he wishes to get rid of beef in the music industry, he was having fun with her not making fun of gays, and he has a daughter that looks up to him, even his daughter knows that sometimes he does things for the fun of it, so if all means get angry at him for doing it, but remember he “likes ” Nicki ! He wants to be with her so he might change himself for her but he also might be stubborn. Who knows…..

Don’t let it upset you Nicki..I’m queer and that good lookin’ sexy Eminem can call me faggot all day.. obidient4u@yahoo.com

What the fuck is up wit dat retarded slut who cares wat shady
    says in his songs.

29. NiggerHater says:

Nigger nigger nigger, hangin from a tree, nigger nigger nigger, dont talk to me. that shit is art i could sell it for billions and you cant be offended because then you cantr handle my politically incorrect “art”

• Danny says:

sorry bro but that is not “art”.. just some offensive and racist terms.. eminem doesnt just simply rhyme words together.. also to believe the “fag” word is comparable to the word “nigger” is unbelievable… the n word is offensive because it stems from suffering and torture… the word “fag” just relates to hurt feelings.. and when the word “fag” is used to insult a man who claims to be straight how is it homophobic? as a straight man believe it or not being called gay is considered an insult… just like how is a guy called another guy a girl.. the term you used to troll with is based on skin colour and appearance…anybody who says its offensive to gay people for a straight man to insult another proclaimed straight mans sexuality are just heterophobic.. overall though your comment was very ignorant.. take a listen to marshall mathers lp, slim shady lp, eminem show etc and if you can create writing like that then i will agree you could make a living if marketed right and you manage to build up some listeners ;) although i dont think using a blood word like “nigger” will get you far.. people of all ethnicity are just people and dont come with any type of behavior based on their race unless racial discrimination and stereotypes against them are involved.. both straight and gay people have different sexual behavior/preferences to each other.. as a straight person i wouldnt get offended by a gay person insulting another gay persons sexuality and calling them heterosexual..

• Danny says:

sorry bro but that is not “art”.. just some offensive and racist terms.. eminem doesnt just simply rhyme words together.. also to believe the “fag” word is comparable to the word “nigger” is unbelievable… the n word is offensive because it stems from suffering and torture… the word “fag” just relates to hurt feelings.. and when the word “fag” is used to insult a man who claims to be straight how is it homophobic? as a straight man believe it or not being called gay is considered an insult… just like how is a guy called another guy a girl.. the term you used to troll with is based on skin colour and appearance…anybody who says its offensive to gay people for a straight man to insult another proclaimed straight mans sexuality are just heterophobic.. overall though your comment was very ignorant.. take a listen to marshall mathers lp, slim shady lp, eminem show etc and if you can create writing like that then i will agree you could make a living if marketed right and you manage to build up some listeners ;) although i dont think using a blood word like “nigger” will get you far.. people of all ethnicity are just people and dont come with any type of behavior based on their race unless racial discrimination and stereotypes against them are involved and also obviously culture.. both straight and gay people have different sexual behavior/preferences to each other.. as a straight person i wouldnt get offended by a gay person insulting another gay persons sexuality and calling them heterosexual..

30. Aleph says:

Rap has its own code.
    Unfortunately, homophobia is part of it and I take no offense, as a french gay male. So, long live hip hop and diversity!